Friday, September 02, 2005

Thoughts on a Friday Night

Wow -- where did August go?! The next time I see the month of August, I'll be preparing for a trip back HOME.

Speaking of home, all of my family (along with a few friends) will be in San Antonio this weekend. I'm jealous, albeit thankful that they get to spend a weekend together! Have fun!!!

Life here is busy. I really thought I would have time to take on-line college courses. Maybe by the Spring Semester, things may slow down a bit! I hope. Actually, the volume of work helps the days (and nights) move by rapidly. BOG = 20 days! To my non-military friends and family, BOG stands for Boots on Ground! The past two nights I never got out of the office until after 10 p.m. But, without a home, and no purpose to hang out in my tent, I'd rather stay at the office. I'm excited about the possibilities of innovation and what I can do to help the transportation units here. It's going to be a good assignment.

We have multiple stores here at the camp, that are brought here by AAFES. AAFES is the Army/Air Force Exchange Service -- which provides the Main PX and little shoppette stores around all Army and Air Force Installations. Their motto is "We go where you go"! And they have, they're here with many, many civilian employees that work in the stores here. A slight problem -- apparently it's difficult to get American coins here. I'm sure it's costly to ship them overseas. So....the AAFES system has created "money". They're heavy-weight little cardboard-like discs (remember the old pogs that kids collected?) and they value anywhere from 5 to 10 to 25 cents each. Forget the pennies! They round up or down, whichever the case is; in the event the cash drawer doesn't have any pennies. We don't always get the pogs for change, just when the cash drawer gets low -- which is quite often. I thought it interesting.

The temperature was a mere 116 today. Yesterday, we had a cool spell -- the high was only 103!

Anyone who knows me well, knows how much I love my popcorn. I'd eat it for every meal of the day if it was deemed REAL healthy -- but it's not THAT healthy; so I limit myself to once or twice a week. The Rec Center has a popcorn popper cart (similar to the one we're going to have in our house! -- hint to Ed) and each evening they make fresh popcorn.

They really are trying to make it as pleasant as possible for everyone who's here.

Wherever this Labor Day Weekend takes you, please be safe. Please keep the friends and families of those suffering from the tragedy in New Orleans in your thoughts and prayers.

Til later ~~ Love, Candy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Popcorn machine? you mean the new micro-wave? Love Ed

2:40 PM, September 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home