Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Greetings From Kuwait


Have you ever mistakenly turned the hair-dryer toward your face, when attempting to blow-dry your hair? That's how it feels when the wind blows (even gently) here in Kuwait!! I made it here!! I can now share some of my recent travels. We left Ft. Benning, GA on Friday evening about 11:45 p.m. We landed in Gander Newfoundland, Canada and were able to get off the plane for about an hour and a half. Next stop was Budapest, but were not allowed off the plane. We flew straight from Hungary to Kuwait, going over the country of Iraq. It was dark when we flew over Iraq, but we could see lights from the major cities -- Mozul, Baghdad, etc. I was rather surprised when I heard that Iraq allowed international flights go over their air space, but at 35,000 feet -- we did it. 17 hours after we left Ft. Benning, we landed at one of the Airports in Kuwait that inprocesses Soldiers into the country. It was about 11:30 p.m., Saturday night, Kuwait time when we landed. We were bused to a location where we were inprocessed, and our ID cards were "swiped" to indicate we were now in "theatre". Ironically, the unit running that personnel inprocessing is one of my units from "back home". It was good to see my unit patch, and hear familiar names.

Next we were bused to a warehouse, where they gave us another duffle bag of equipment. Eventually we all got finished, and were bused to the base where we'll stay for about a week. We finally were able to get breakfast, then unload our baggage truck, and were able to lay down for a "nap" about 11:00 a.m. on Sunday. Sunday afternoon started the track of more briefings and classes.

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday we became "tourists"!! Since the 143d has such a huge responsibility for transporting soldiers and equipment all throughout the theatre, they wanted us to see locations that we'll be dealing with. Monday, we went up to the border. We didn't cross it -- just were able to get about 35 feet from the Iraq/Kuwait border. Before the trip, I did learn how to put the "plates" in my body armor -- one in the front and one in the back!!! While up at the border, we were able to get out of the sun for a short time in a make-shift wooden patio cover. Believe me -- nothing elaborate -- in fact, nothing in this entire country is elaborate. They had a thermometer on the wall that displayed inside (under the cover) and outside (in the direct Sun with a gentle breeze blowing). When we first got there -- it was 147 degrees outside, and 121 inside!!!! I think the breeze had an affect on the thermometer, because shortly the outside "cooled down" to a mere 141 degrees. Yikes!!! Have you ever experienced HOT!!! After I get some pictures downloaded from my camera, I'll share the picture of the 141 degrees!!!!

Tuesday, we went to the ports to get an overview of our role at those locations. Today (Wednesday), we were provided our security badges for access to the locations we'll be working. I can't say much about where we work. When you see the briefings and such from Kuwait with all of the Generals and staff -- we work in the building right next door.

Right now I'm living in a tent -- but, it's air conditioned!!!! It actually cools down at night along with the air, and I do need a blanket at night. I am scheduled to move on Saturday to where I'll be living for the next year -- a real building, with real furniture!!!

It's amazing the type of services here for soldiers. We have a Starbucks, Pizza Inn, Taco Bell, Hardee's, Burger King, and even Subway!! There's sand everywhere with occasional gravel. There are fitness centers on nearly every major base, and it may come as a shock to all of you -- I've been at the gym every morning before 5:00 a.m. to workout!!! There are AT&T Call centers on each base camp -- but I don't think they have soldier's "best interest" with how the calling cards work. Someone back in the states needs to alert all of the great service organizations that buy AT&T calling cards to send with soldiers that it's a rip-off!! I'm usually not one to complain about consumer products -- but ....... here goes. A 120 minute AT&T calling card was given to us from a DAR Chapter in Orlando, FL. I made a phone call to Ed, and when I dialed the first time, was told by the automated voice -- you have 9 minutes remaining on your card. We got to talk for the 9 minutes, and then I called AT&T to ask if there could possibly be a mistake with my card. Nope -- it was a connection charge. By the way -- that wasn't a typo -- it really was a mere 9 minutes on the 120 minute AT&T Calling card. I'll learn quickly what type of card to get, and how to do it here.

I hope this finds all of you well -- I'm doing fine -- just HOT!! Typically, the temps reach only 122-125 each day. Within a few days I hope to have some pictures posted for you.

Til later ~~ Candy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here I am being all worried... and you have a STARBUCKS?! Just make sure your coffee remains sand-free. :)

One of the nurses I work with bought me a bracelet. It's silver and has little yellow ribbons (support our troops ribbons) all over it. I plan on wearing it every day until you get back.

I'm so glad you're doing well! I MISS YOU!! and LOVE YOU!
Laura

8:09 PM, August 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home