Monday, August 08, 2005

Last Note from Continental US



Orlando has been fun (personally) and somewhat boring (professionally). Ed was able to come down for a weekend, and we had a great time doing the tourist things around Orlando -- Epcot was fantastic!!!! We even went to the Gourmet McDonald's -- World's largest McDonald's is in Orlando -- typical McDonald junk food at one counter; while another counter served salmon dinners, chicken alfredo, scrumptious deserts, etc. -- all on glass plates!!!! We enjoyed our two days together, and hated to tell him goodbye. I'm such a schmuck -- ask my family -- I cry at the thought of a Folger's Coffee commercial. OK -- enough about that, because the Captain sitting next to me is wondering, "what's wrong with this woman!"

Professionally, we've had a lot of briefings on what's going on in Kuwait, and expectations for our unit when we get there. Some of the briefings and classes have been unorganized and less than pertinent; while some have litterally kept me glued to the edge of my chair. I'm anxious to get there and get started, as my 365 day countdown can't start until we get "in country".

We head back to Ft. Benning tomorrow and wait for our airplane ride out of the country. I can't say much more than that, because it's classified as to when we actually leave. We know -- but we can't say. I will tell you that by duty time next Monday morning, I'll be in Kuwait.

I've taken a few pictures, and am learning how to get them posted to my website. My small problem is that I can't edit them (resize the photos) so that they are small, and open quickly. When I learn that task well, you'll all see the fruits of my education!!

I have been trying to get many of you called (by phone); unfortunately, I won't be able to call each of you before I leave the country. Please know that I think about all of you -- a lot!

My next update will be from Kuwait -- where the current temperatures are in excess of 122 degrees. But.....it's a dry heat!

Please keep my family in your thoughts and prayers. Ed is enjoying his new job at Ft. Sam Houston and glad that he once again has a career outside the home! Tom is one week into his Officer Basic Course at Ft. Knox, KY. Sarah is gearing up for her last semester of ungrad work -- she's 9 semester hours away from that December graduation!!! Laura is finishing up her last pre-requisites for Nursing School. Hopefully, January will find her at UT Health Science Center as a Nursing Student. Becky has opted to stay in San Antonio for college this semester and has still trying to decide between San Antonio College or NW Vista. Chip (the wonder dog) -- I know he misses me!!

Love to all. Til later ~~ Candy

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Candy, I love reading your posts. Take care of yourself and all our other Texas troops there. We're proud of you and what you do. If you're ever back in Austin, give us a shout.

Bob Perrow

7:22 PM, August 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Candy,

I really enjoyed meeting you last night. Good luck and we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers and check up on you via your website.

Sandy Anderson

5:26 AM, August 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Candi
So where are you my friend? I am trying to head down to the port next week. I'll find you if you are there!!!

I am still here and kicking up north. About 44 days left, yeeeehaw.

Take care and stay low. I'll do the same. You still owe me a beer, har har.

Tracy

8:06 PM, August 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home