Sunday, July 17, 2005

Hi All ~~ One week down and one week to go at Ft. Benning, GA. A place my husband called "home" for most of his active duty career, as well as a place where our Son learned how to jump out of perfectly good airplanes!!!

The inprocessing has been extremely detailed -- dental, medical, personnel, legal, finance -- you name it -- they cover all the bases. My left upper arm is still sore -- shots. If you're ever required to get both an Anthrax AND a Yellow Fever shot in the same day (as well as in the same arm) -- try to decline!!! It hurts!!! Then to add to the pain -- I had to get a small pox vaccination on Friday morning. Remember those of us that are close to my age how we thought we were vaccinated against small pox for life. Those of us bearing the round little scar on our upper arms -- well....surprise -- now "they" say that the vaccination is only good for ten years!!!

The training has been pretty good. Very theatre specific -- a lot of hands on classes with what we can expect when we get to Kuwait. Many of the classes I'd like to repeat, or at least ask for "do-overs", because I don't think anyone can be prepared enough. Friday afternoon we had classes on our individual weapons that we'll carry. I have a 9mm pistol, and until Friday only knew how to requisition, account, store, and inventory all of those 9mm's. The range was Saturday morning, and I qualified my first time up! Needless to say, I was thrilled!! I asked to go to the back of the line and re-fire. The instructor said -- you don't need to -- you qualified. Remember how I feel about the "do-overs"? I wanted to go back, just to fire again -- so they let me.

My daily wardrobe changed this week from Army Green to Desert Tan. On Tuesday, I felt like we were filming the movie Private Benjamin. Each of us were issued three duffle bags, and shuffled through a huge warehouse collecting all of our new clothes and equipment. I hadn't done the "duffle bag drag" since basic training over 30 years ago. The best part of the desert uniform -- you don't have to shine the boots. Those of you who see me uniform on a daily basis will understand that comment! Remember hearing all of the hype about soldiers not having all of the equipment they need -- we're getting it now -- to include the proper body armor! My roommates (2 Majors) are still laughing about something I said after we got back to the barracks with three full duffle bags. As we were unpacking and putting equipment together. I unpacked my IBA (Interceptory Body Armor) and not one but two plates that are part of the IBA. My comment was... "this is great -- they're thinking ahead. They've given us a spare, in case the first gets shot." Janet calmly said.... "Candy, one is for the front and one is for the back." I'm learning!!! All of my friends that are, or have been, in theatre -- don't laugh -- just look out for me!

Did I say that Yellow Fever and Anthrax shots hurt!

Til later ~~ Candy

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should post some pictures!

10:43 AM, July 20, 2005  
Blogger Some Soldier's Mom said...

You rock, Lady!

But you need to fill out your profile a little more -- a little more background, please!

Go off base to get your tags/rank sewn on those new DCU's...

I also saw an article earlier today (by some GA soldiers) that said those new DCUs don't hold together well at the seams and seats -- so careful bending ladies AND be sure to take some mending stuff with!!

Will follow your journey intently and pray constantly!

11:34 PM, July 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home