Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Many of you know (or have heard) that I volunteered for deployment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. I volunteered to go with the 143rd Transcom, a transportation command out of Orlando, FL, who is operating and managing the ports in Kuwait. My job is still being molded as to exactly what I'll be doing -- however, I know that I'll be working with the accountability and documentation of Army equipment that is left in theatre by units returning to the states and have leaving their equipment in theatre for other deploying units to use. That's the civilian description. In military terms -- I'll be the PBO for SBE!!

I spent my last weekend home in perfect style -- at a beach house south of Galveston, TX. Ed & I, and all the kids (along with some significant friends) joined some longtime good friends for a relaxing, fun, 4th of July celebration.

I left for Orlando on July 7th and will be here for just a few days. We travel to Ft. Benning, GA (by bus) on Sunday and meet up with the rest of our team. We'll be at Ft. Benning for two weeks of military training, then back to Orlando for a few more weeks before we travel to Kuwait. A lengthy military career in a variety of locations has always proven to be beneficial to me. After I got to Orlando -- sure enough there are some team members that I served with in previous assignments, as well as several that I'd "heard" of from other Army buddies. It's going to be a great team to serve with. Our team when fully assembled will be approximately 90 soldiers -- all of whom have volunteered!!!! We are scheduled to work in Kuwait, and will be getting there at the hottest time of the year -- where the mercury reaches 130+.

I hope to send updates by email periodically. I won't have a mailing address for a couple of months, so the best way to reach me is via email. I'm anxious about getting on with this assignment, because my 365 days "boots on the ground" start counting the first day I get in theatre. The quicker we get there -- the quicker we get back home to family and friends.

Regards,

Candy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home