Sunday, August 28, 2005

Sunday Blog Update

It's Sunday evening here, and still HOT. Temps today were again in the mid 120's. They keep saying it's supposed to start cooling down. I can hardly wait.

Although, I must admit -- I bought a new blanket last night. The evenings get cold, and with the air conditioner on in at night, I freeze (or rather froze) nearly every night!!! So, I slept cozy last night, slept "in" this morning until 0600, then got up and ready for work. I didn't go to the gym. I decided to take Sundays "off"!

We work every day. Although, Sundays are a day that we can schedule ourselves for as many or as few of hours as we need. I had planned on working until about noon -- but didn't get out of the office until about 4:30.

The shower water is still hot (goes hand in hand with the outside temperature) -- so we still don't use the hot water tap at all. I laughed when doing laundry the other night and I looked at the water temperature knob. No way in Kuwait that you could ever wash clothes in cold water in the summer!!!

This afternoon was Organizational Day. That means all the sections were supposed to try to schedule their soldiers off, and we had a baseball game and a cookout. This is the last week for the team of soldiers we are replacing. They are most excited about headed home, and rightfully so -- they've done a year here without comforts of home and family and friends. We cooked steaks, and the DFAC provided salads and all the other trimmings. No way was I going to play ball -- I'll leave that up to the kids!

One thing I noticed is that the ball field is all sand. In fact the soccer field next to the ball diamond is all sand, too. Most of the roads are packed sand. In fact -- there is only ONE building on this entire installation that has grass growing. It's the headquarters building, and quite a landmark. When receiving directions to something on post, usually "the building with the grass" is somewhere among the instructions.

I've learned a lot this last week. The way we do supply business in the states is MUCH different that the way we do supply business here in a war zone. Very interesting -- very quick to get equipment -- and it's a much different procedure than I've ever used. Most of the people that I work with (up and down my chain of command) are great people. One of the units we work very close with is an Active Component unit out of Germany. Their Logistics Officer is a young Captain, and I'm impressed with his eagnerness and ability to pick things up quickly. Their Maintenance Officer is also a CW4, who's first name is Sweety. No kidding!!! He thinks it's great that my first name is Candy -- so, we've shared some great laughs.

The keyboard I'm typing on has arabic characters on the keys, along with the English ones. I'm trying to learn the symbols for the numerals. I don't have much hope for learning the letters. I'll do well with the numbers!!

I hope this finds all of my "blog" friends well. Thanks for all of your emails and posts. I don't get too much time each day on the internet, so forgive me if I don't respond quickly to your emails.

Til later ~~ Love, Candy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! It's hard to imagine a "soccer field" made completely out of sand... How does that new bike of yours work on the sand, by the way? I'd imagine that's a bit tricky. :)

Chip definitely misses you as much as you miss him. But I'm working on getting him another dog friend. I think that should help...

Love you!!
Laura

4:10 PM, August 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home