Monday, December 19, 2005

Gearing up for Christmas

Who would ever think that Christmas in the desert, thousands of miles away from family, friends, and loved ones would be nice -- but it's really not as bad as I thought it would be.

I find it truly amazing how those serving in the military always find a way to adapt and overcome; perhaps one of my many reasons for spending way more than one-half of my life in the Army. I've found many military members in my life to become almost like family to me and you know who you are!!! Therefore, getting ready for Christmas has been kind of fun here. You can't believe ALL the decorations that family members have sent over, all the cards & banners from school children and church groups, and all the good will being shared. All of our cubicles (as small as they may be!) are decorated with amazing thoughts and wishes. It's not been too bad. So far, I've seen three real.....live Christmas trees. Amazing what a bunch of soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen can do when they put their minds to something. The lights are bright, the tinsel sparkling and we're all getting ready to celebrate the birth of our Lord and Saviour. For me --- I do plan on going to the Christmas Eve Candlelight service. Wouldn't be Christmas without it.

Til later ~~ Candy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Candy.

I know from personal experience what Christmas out of the country and away from your family can be like from my time in the Army (1967-1970). I spent two Christmas holidays in a row in Korea..better than Vietnam, I suppose.

I don't remember much about the first year but the second Christmas I remember visiting with my troops a bit on Christmas morning and spending much of the rest of the day along with the other LTs in Officers' Club (quonset hut) of my unit, 2/10 Cav.

We had brought in some orphans from the local orphanage as well as the families of some of our Korean employees for dinner and some presents.

Not like Christmas with my family growing up but enough good memories that I can still remember it today. I hope yours will be good, too. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

11:38 AM, December 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home